Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sarah Frampton’s ALASKA!!!!!

So first off I want to say that I love living here, it seems like everyday is an adventure. Our first week here in town we were initiated by a historic ice storm. Here in Fairbanks they cancel school for rain and not snow!! It warmed up and rained quite a bit, then got colder so all of the roads were like sheets of ice. I am pretty sure I would have been better off ice skating to work rather than driving… lol! Here is an article on the storm.

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_story/10413545/article-Ice-storm-unprecedented-in-Interior-Alaska--meteorologists-say?instance=home_lead_story

Even though I love living here is has been quite an adjustment living here, it is not uncommon for people to live here in cabins with no water. Levi and I are living in a cabin but luckly we do have water, and hot water at that!

Here are a few things that I defiantly miss about my former life:

1- Not having to choose between hot water and water pressure.

2- Sunlight

3- Having a seemingly endless supply of water (we have a 1000 gal tank that we have to get filled every so often)

4- Warmth and Sunlight

5- Waste collection (we haul our trash down to a transfer site at the bottom of our hill)

6- Sunlight

7- Not having to do laundry at the laundry mat.

8- Not having to worry about Moose that think they rule the road.

9- Having a real freezer (right now we have a couple of coolers on our porch and I use the trunk of my car)

10- Dogs that eat the food out of our freezer and get into our garbage.

OK but let me tell you, there are some things that I just love, love, love about living here! I can see Russia… ur I mean Denali from my house! I love the snow, and I love all the cross country ski trails around here, we have some right behind our cabin! The hiking is amazing, and it doesn’t take long to get into “wilderness”. I am also super stoked for the summers, and being able to go mountain biking in the middle of the night, or making a 2 AM tee time.



So here are a few pics of our place, and around Alaska.










So Levi is in Prudhoe Bay (which is famous for the show ice road truckers) and no he has not become a trucker… he is working as a field engineer for a pipeline company. I am sure that he will be writing about his experiences up there. He will be up there until the end of May with a couple of breaks to come home and visit. Its hard but I am staying busy with taxes at work, and thank goodness for phones and skype!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prudhoe_Bay,_Alaska

3 comments:

  1. Ice Road Truckers! Hahaha... I watched all 3 seasons in like a couple weeks on Netflix. Too funny. Love the pics! It's a cute little cabin! You'll have to post some more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you miss the sunlight huh? The sunlight misses you too. Those are beautiful pictures! You are going to love the summertime I am sure. I went to the driving range yesterday and thought of you. I miss you tons! You should also know that I threw a little fit yesterday about you and Levi moving to Alaska. Julie had to tell me to settle down. :) I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your posts sweetie! Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete